Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bored with an Awl

2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything...

5 But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,6 then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Exodus 21:2,5-6


On Tuesday I pierced my ear, right in the middle of the cartilage. Not because I am addicted to piercings (although I might be getting there. This makes 6, and I wouldn't be opposed to a couple more. Good thing I don't have the money for that), and not because I just really enjoy only being able to sleep on one side and whimpering "ow" every time I give someone a hug and their head bumps mine.

So if you haven't figured out why, I'll give you a hint.... It has to do with the verse at the top of this post.

This year marks the 7th anniversary of the summer that I rededicated my life to Christ, which was when I really started to take this whole "relationship with Jesus" stuff seriously. (well, let me be really honest here. I'm not completely sure if the seventh anniversary was this past summer or this coming one, so I figured since it is currently kind of between the two, that was acceptable). So approximately 7 years ago was when I began my servitude to Christ. By Old Testament Hebrew law that means that this year I would have to be released from that servitude if I so desired.

But I love my master. I have no desire to go free.

So my master took me before some judges, and bored my ear to a doorpost with an awl.
Okay, that last sentence is a lie. It's just a standard piercing. No judges, doorposts, or awls involved (actually, my mom offered to do it with an awl and a doorpost next time I go home, but I declined. I used an awl today for book binding, and it made me very grateful for modern piercing equipment (i.e. a really sharp needle) and professional piercers.). I should also point out that I did not come up with this idea myself. I stole it from my friend Laura Wilson, who has a similar piercing. Nevertheless, the significance is still there.

I've chosen to be His servant for life.
Thank you, Adonai, for being a loving and gracious master.



No comments: